CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Curriculum 2011-2012

I am posting this now because I am finding that I would like to purchase more items and I have to keep reminding myself that it is DONE.  I can relax!  The crazy part is I actually like researching different school curriculum.  Don't you?

The boys want to study American History and after much thought we decided to try a new curriculum. Now don't get me wrong...we loved Story of the World and Mystery of History, both of these made history come alive! I just felt for what the boys wanted to learn we needed to switch it up.  We decided on the literature approach curriculum, Beautiful Feet

We have been doing a little bit of Geography with Beautiful Feet this summer.  When reading Mom's Mustard Seed's Blog she mentioned she was also doing the Geography this coming school year.  BUT, she had a writing resource to go with it.  I was like a kid in a candy store!  Right away I purchased the ebook and said, 'DONE'.

I also added Total Language Plus. TLP is a literature based program.  Thing 1 will start out by reading Charlotte’s Web.   While Thing 1 is doing TPL he will not be doing his other Grammar items because with TLP you are given spelling words, spelling rules, copy work, parts of speech, drills, enrichment activities, comprehension and vocabulary {hopefully I am not missing anything}.  Now, in all honesty, we did try this last year. However, this program was too hard for a child who did not have much comprehension.  After spending a year working on his comprehension, I think he can take this on and be successful at it. 

Both Boys Together
Bible~ How to Study Your Bible for Kids by Kay Arthur
History ~ Early American History (Beautiful Feet)  We will also supplement with lessons from Lesson Pathways and GuestHollow
Geography ~ (Beautiful Feet)
Writing ~ Beautiful Feet and Institute for Excellence in Writing put together a writing program to go with the Beautiful Feet Geography.
Science ~ R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - Chemistry
                 Human Body

Art ~ Artistic Pursuits

Electives ~    Sign Language
                    English from the Roots Up
                    Music Lessons
                    Spanish 
                    Character Sketches (this is a bible/science/character study)
                    Vocabulary


Thing 1 (5th grade)

Math ~ Teaching Text Books

Grammar ~ Spelling Power 
                    Total Language Plus
                    Writing with Ease
                     Language Lessons for a Well-Trained Mind 
                 
Critical Thinking ~ Reading Detective


Thing 2 (3rd Grade)
Math ~ Teaching Text Books

Grammar ~ 
                    Language Lessons for a Well-Trained Mind 
                    Language Lessons for Little Ones {review}
                   Pictures in Cursive Primer
                    Learning to Spell Through Copywork
                    Writing with Ease
                    

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

    HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

    HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete